Explore the Outer Hebrides
The Outer Hebrides brought to you by WildTrax
We know we’re not supposed to have favourites, but this Hebridean route has a special place in our hearts. Early in 2019 the directors James & Rose took a 4 day Outer Hebridean trip and here they share the route they took in this incredible island hopping journey. Packed with amazing sights and scenery this road trip is sure to knock your socks off – we did it in 4 days due to time constraints, but we would highly recommend spending as long as you can on this one to take in Island life at Island pace!
One thing to consider is that you really do need to plan your CalMac ferries in advance; not only because of the timetables but also because car spots get booked up quickly in summer months.
- Wildtrax Base > Bealach na Ba (start of Applecross mountain pass), 90 miles, 2hr 20 mins.
- Bealach na Ba > Applecross Inn, Applecross Bay, 5.8 miles, 16 mins
- Clockwise coastal Applecross Peninsular route > Sheildag, 25 miles, 58 mins.
- Sheildag > Uig Ferry Port (Skye) 86 miles, 2hr 15 mins – accessed by road bridge at Kyle of Lochalsh
- Ferry from Uig > Lochmaddy (North Uist) with Caledonian MacBrayne Ferries – 1hr45
- Lochmaddy > Princes Beach, Isle of Eriskay, (connected by causeway to southern tip of South Uist) 48 miles, 1hr 18 mins
- Eriskay > Berneray (northern tip of North Uist) 59 miles, 1hr 40 mins
- Ferry from Berneray (North Uist) > Leverburgh (Sound of Harris) – 1hr
- Leverburgh > Luskentyre Beach (Isle of Harris), 15 miles, 30 mins
- Luskentyre Beach > Hushinish Beach (Isle of Harris), 26 miles, 1hr
- Hushinish Beach > Stornoway Ferry Port (Isle of Lewis), 46 miles, 1hr 25 mins
- Stornoway > Ullapool Ferry Port, 2hrs 45 mins
- Ullapool > Inverness 58 miles, 1hr 20 mins
- Inverness > Wildtrax Base, 20 miles, 40 mins